This week we are observing and helping with Summer School at KIPP DIAMOND Academy, which is a charter school here in Memphis. They have many routines and procedures that are very effective in discipline and learning. We are very fortunate to see how they set up the school year and culture with three weeks of summer school before the traditional school year.
On Monday morning the administration was talking about goals and expectations while all the new students were sitting in rows on the floor of the cafeteria [they have to earn desks] and the principal asked, "Who is going to college?" and a boy who I had talked with earlier that morning raised both his hands as high up in the air as he could. I fought back tears as I saw how much he wants a better life.
This verse has been on my heart this week as well:
When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy. Proverbs 11:10
Memphis is already changing because of the educational reforms and the entire city will benefit and rejoice when EVERY student has access to a GREAT education.
No comments:
Post a Comment