Friday, January 22, 2010

A Round of Applause for God

Last night at More than a Meal, Earle welcomed everyone, made annoucements, and asked for a round of applause to thank the people who make the meal possible. First the cooks, then the volunteers/servers, and then someone from the crowd yelled, "And an applause for God." I got goosebumps when the crowd roared loudest for that last request.

That is just one of the reasons I love More than A Meal, that you can never know what to expect.

I also asked a few people what they would do if someone gave them $100 dollars.
  • The first person I asked is a man who always comes with two boys who I don't believe are his biological children. I intentionally serve his table every week, so we have a built a friendship. He thought for a second and then he said, "I'd buy some school clothes, and some school supplies. And if I had any left over I'd get some new shoes from the thrift store." Then he inquired why I was asking and just told him someone had asked me recently and I was wondering how other people would answer. Then he said, "Well you would probably put it in the bank because you can do that." I was surprised that was his perspective of me and knew he was right. I didn't feel like I was being judged, but I wanted so badly to be able to relate to him. But instead, I felt like we were worlds apart at that moment.
  • The next man I asked said, "I'd buy some gasoline, and then I'd pay some of my bills."
  • Another man said, "I'd get somethin' for my baby for Valenine's Day." To which I replied, "How old is your baby?" And the whole group chuckled at me. Then I realized he was talking about his significant other and not his child.
  • A lady sitting with that group said, "I'd give it away to someone who needed it."

More to come in the weeks to follow...

1 comment:

  1. wow, i'm glad that you posted this. it really makes me think.

    ReplyDelete