Sunday, August 8, 2010

1st Day

Tomorrow is the day. My official first day of teaching.

I'm scared and excited all at the same time. I'm comforted by the fact that I'm not alone, not for one moment. Not only do I have a mentor teacher who I will be with all day, but I have two MTR peers I'm riding to school with, and a coach who is taking us out for ice cream after school. And I have a super awesome God who has not only led me here, but will guide me the entire way, tomorrow and everyday.

As I was getting organized tonight, I came across this poem that KIPP students memorized this summer and found it to be extremely relevant for tomorrow.[KIPP left out the middle part about God, but it is pretty important:] I'm printing a copy to put up by my desk.


Our Deepest Fear 

Marianne Williamson


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.

No comments:

Post a Comment